Thursday, 7 May 2015

I Went to a Gala I Had No Business Being At

Last Saturday, a friend of mine asked me to accompany him to the Ontario Medical Association's annual awards dinner. He was receiving an award and because his girlfriend is in another province, invited me along.

I may have been the only person there that wasn't a doctor or becoming a doctor in the next few years. I got asked questions about my specialty, what year I was in, what school I go to, and many other ones I simply didn't understand. I gracefully declined to answer and tried to explain that I was just there for moral support, but the conversation quickly ended when they realized they had nothing to talk about with me.

I punched above my weight. I realized I have zero things in common with these people, but that didn't stop me from trying to learn everything I could. I also realized that compared to most of the people at that awards gala, I'm not very good at schmoozing. This was the big leagues, these people schmooze professionally and have been doing it for decades.

So I spent the night watching and learning. While I'll likely never see those people again, I am now determined to perfect my schmoozing and perfect my way of talking to the people with the money and the power to change things.

And I got to wear a super cute dress so there's that.

No comments: